Sunday, February 13, 2011

Response to Success and Liberation Aim


I felt the aim that was more popular between the Hinduism aim of success and liberation was the aim of success.  I felt it was easier to find songs related to success because in today’s society people strive to become rich and successful. Many people dream of fame and fortune, so it’s easy to put their dreams of making it big in a song. Many singers have achieved their goal in making it big and reaching the top and they want to tell everyone about how successful they are. Because many artists today can be egotistical their songs reflect that by broadcasting their achievements of fortune.  What surprised me while I was looking for songs on liberation was that most fell under the alternative/rock category. Most songs about success fell under pop or hip-hop. I think because of their genre of music, the alternative/rock artists tend to write more low key songs involving being set free and letting go. I also found that some artists who did write about success had a tough road to get there and express that in their music. They also talk about how even though they are rich and famous; they are still real no matter their social status. This contradicts my earlier thoughts of celebrities wanting to brag about their wealth. I do believe that is still the case in many songs especially in the world of hip-hop but many of those songs talk about the hardships it took to get them there. The difference between the aim of success and liberation in Hinduism and that represented in music is that the ultimate goal of Hindus is to reach moksha or liberation and the goal of most Americans today is to be successful. Hinduism recognizes the importance of material wealth for the overall happiness and well being of an individual. A house holder requires wealth, because he has to perform many duties to uphold dharma and ensure the welfare and progress of his family and society. Although in today’s society one does require wealth to support ones family, their success does not correlate with dharma. People today what success and to be wealthy for many selfish reasons and in Hinduism their goals are completely unselfish and are just to ultimately reach liberation.

6 comments:

  1. I think you make a very good point when bringing up selfish and unselfish. I also found that this was the main difference between the American understanding and the Hindu understanding of the aims. It is clearly seen that in American popular culture the majority of songs that are popular are about money and power. It seems that these are the things that bring happiness. It is also important to note, as you did, that these are selfish desires that only benefit one person as opposed to the masses. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your response to the two aims this week. Also, while I was looking for songs for my blog I noticed that the majority of songs that I could think of that pertained to success were songs by hip hop artists. I think that its a shame that this tends to be the main theme in hip hop instead of rapping about topics that can actually be beneficial to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that finding songs for the success aim was relatively easy. Every rapper talk about the same thing and that's money, fame, and wealth. I can also agree with you that it is selfish to a certain degree, especially seeing the life style they live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought it was easier to find success songs because most of those songs appeal to the youth of today. this is because most of us dream of becoming successful and wanting money and fame. i also thought your interpretation of where in todays music both of these aims fit. I never really realized that till now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you made a really interesting point that I did not notice at all until you mentioned it. I agree with you that success songs are seen alot more in Hip-Hop. I agree with you that it has to do with the genre of music, and what it is historically known to do. There are a great deal of Hip-Hop songs that rap about a rag to riches story and I feel that that is why it is easier to find so many songs to show success. I agree with you that there is an ego invovled in this however, and I feel that it is at this point is where the American version of success and the Hindu verson of success begin to differ. I feel that in American music when success is sung about there is an egotistic nature with it, and I feel that the success that is to be achieved in Hinduism is much more humble.

    ReplyDelete